This week we talk about Season 1, Episode 14 “That Damn Donna Reed.”
Complete show notes can be found below, like the podcast on facebook for updates or subscribe for free to the podcast on iTunes!
Gilmore Girls: Complete Soundtrack, including (most of) the songs from this episode:
Songs that are in this podcast (appear or are referenced in Season 1, Episode 14 of Gilmore Girls):
- Painting Songs performed by Lauren Graham
- I love when the singing and dancing skills of the actors on the show get to be utilized, no matter how silly it comes out, it makes my heart smile.
- Here’s Lauren Graham singing “A Bushel and a Peck” in Guys and Dolls from April 2009:
- To see a photo of a blonde Graham from this role, check out the show notes from Episode 108: Everything is Magical.
- “Sunday Best” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- This is the first time we see the town troubadour on screen. He is leaning against a lamp post, singing and playing guitar as Rory gets off the bus to be greeted by Dean.
- “Flower Girl from Bordeaux” by Esquivel! | Purchase music from Esquivel!
- This song plays when Dean arrives at Babette and Morey’s for Donna Reed night.
- The “weird one” Rory was looking for under Lane’s floor boards was this album, if you look closely in this still, you can see the artwork is a match:
- Buy the CD in question here.
- “Johnny Angel ” by Shelly Fabres | Purchase music from Shelly Fabres
- Shelly Fabres is best known for playing Donna Reed’s daughter on The Donna Reed Show.
- “Beautiful Dreamers” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- Grant-Lee performs this song as he crosses the street while Lorelai and Luke unload paint cans in front of the diner.
Today’s Guest: Charlie Malone
Charlie is someone I could talk to about music and art for days. He’s a writer, avid traveler and collector of books. He’s very new to Gilmore Girls, but he loves singer-songwriters, which is why I’ve asked him to be on this episode, when we finally meet the town troubadour.
Charlie is pictured holding my copy of Longitude by The Frames (2016, Anti-).
Spinning in Stars Hollow
This week I’ve added 3 songs to the season 1 Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist, taking a cue from the troubadour:
- “Cry Cry” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- From his latest album, 2016’s The Narrows.
- “Constant Muse” by Denison Witmer | Buy music from Denison Witmer
- Witmer is a great selection for fans of Grant-Lee Phillips songwriting style, and perfect for the upcoming autumn season.
- “Fitzcarraldo” by The Frames | Purchase music from The Frames
- This is Charlie’s suggestion, noting how many musical (and other artistic) doors this song opened for him when he discovered it in the late 90’s.
- This song was inspired by the story depicted in the 1982 Werner Herzog film of the same name:
Please, if you like what you hear, support these artists and buy their music.
The Gilmore Girls Soundtrack theme music was provided by Scott Holmes. A big, big thanks to Scott for sharing his great talent.