This week we talk about Season 1, Episode 8 “Love & War & Snow.”
Complete show notes can be found below, like the podcast on facebook for updates!
Gilmore Girls: Complete Soundtrack, including (most of) the songs from this episode:
Songs that are in this podcast (appear or are referenced in Season 1, Episode 8 of Gilmore Girls):
- “Cookies” performed by Melissa McCarthy & Lauren Graham
- This isn’t on the playlist (unfortunately) but the audio from the show is heard in the Podcast.
- Bonus! here’s a photo of Lauren Graham when she played Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls back in April 2009:
- “Someone to Watch Over Me” by Rickie Lee Jones | Purchase music from Rickie Lee Jones
- This song plays while Lorelai and Max walk through the snow as Luke looks on from the square where he is serving coffee to the freezing reenactors.
- “Pictures of You” by The Cure | Purchase music from The Cure
- Lane blasts this song from Rory’s room when she’s having a very Judy Bloom moment.
- Here’s the music video for“Pictures of You” that was recorded during “The Big Snow” in Scotland:
Today’s Guest: Joanna Wilson
Joanna Wilson is most often considered the Christmas Entertainment Expert. She has written several books on the subject: Tis The Season TV, The Christmas TV Compilation and Merry Musical Christmas, Vol. 1. Joanna has an academic background in film history and philosophy and uses her expertise to share keen interpretation for many forms of pop culture. I was thrilled to find she’s also a huge fan of Gilmore Girls, and asked her to be a guest on the podcast. Joanna will be joining us again for the Christmas episode of Season 1 in just two weeks.
Visit her blog at christmastvhistory.com. Joanna will be featuring a fun Christmas in July party beginning on July 1, so be sure to check in regularly for all the fun—or submit your own response before then.
Joanna remembers The Walton’s Reunion
Joanna is pictured holding her copy of Sonic Youth’s critically acclaimed “Daydream Nation” (1988, Enigma).
Kelly Bishop’s Early Career
The photo shown of Emily Gilmore’s younger sister Hopie is in reality a photo of a young Kelly Bishop:
Bonus! I believe the baby photo (on the left) is actually baby Alexis Bledel… Here’s a childhood photo of her for reference:
Could the baby photo on the far right shadowy part of the screen be Lauren Graham? It would only make sense…
Kelly Bishop won a Tony in 1976 for the role of Sheila in A Chorus Line, a role which she originated. I posted a clip from her acceptance speech on Instagram awhile back. Watch the whole speech below, and you will really see her personal humor shine.
Emily Gilmore loves musicals, and it was not a coincidence that the actress who portrayed her began her career as a ballet dancer.
Spinning in Stars Hollow
This week I’ve added 3 songs to the season 1 Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist:
- “Candle” by Sonic Youth | Purchase music from Sonic Youth
- Recommended for fans of The Cure. Lane, Rory and Lorelai would have been big fans of Sonic Youth, especially this album which landed the band a record deal and brought the band critical acclaim.
- Sonic Youth performs during Gilmore Girls Season 6, Episode 22 “Partings”. (More on this when we get there…)
- “Marquee Moon” by Television | Buy music from Television
- Recommended for fans of The Cure.
- The album has been viewed by critics as one of the greatest albums of all time. It’s been cited as an important influence for the 1980’s indie rock and new wave movements.
- “Among Angels” by Kate Bush | Buy music from Kate Bush
- This song is recommended for fans of the crooning ballad by Rickie Lee Jones that plays during the snow storm in Stars Hollow.
- This song is a lovely piano ballad and would be a beautiful soundtrack for a walk in the first snow.
Please, if you like what you hear, support these artists and buy their music.
The Gilmore Girls Soundtrack theme music was provided by Scott Holmes. A big, big thanks to Scott for sharing his great talent.