This week we talk about Season 1, Episode 5 “Cinnamon’s Wake.”
Complete show notes can be found below, like the podcast on facebook for updates!
Gilmore Girls: Complete Soundtrack, including (most of) the songs from this episode:
Songs that are in this podcast (appear or are referenced in Season 1, Episode 5 of Gilmore Girls):
- “Time Bomb” by Rancid | Purchase music from Rancid
- Lane is skanking to this song in Rory’s room–not sitting on a park bench contemplating the re-unification of the two Koreas–before school.
- “I Thought About You” composed by Jimmy Van Heusen with lyrics by Johnny Mercer | Purchase music from Johnny Mercer
- This song is performed on the piano at the wake by Morey and Miss Patty adds percussion on the bongos.
- The version on the Spotify playlist is from Dinah Washington
- “Truly, Truly” by Grant Lee Buffalo | Purchase music from Grant Lee Buffalo
- This song plays as Dean is about to walk away, but Rory jumps up to tell him she is interested.
- This is the first episode where we hear the voice of Grant-Lee Phillips, who becomes a beloved background character: The Town Troubadour.
Today’s Guest: Alison Caplan
Alison loves art and music. She once sent me a christmas card with the Bjork snow woman scene illustrated on it. She is the director of education at an amazing art museum and has a beautiful family. This will absolutely not be her last appearance on Gilmore Girls Soundtrack.
How old was Cinnamon?
So to convert cat years to the “equivalent” human years, the most common equation goes like this: 15 years for the first year of life + 10 years for the second year. So a 2-year-old cat is equivalent to a 25-year-old human. After year two, you add 4 years for each subsequent year of life.
VET: It wasn’t the clams. Morey, in human years this cat was 260 years old.
LORELAI: That’s a good, long life.
So we know the vet says Cinnamon was 260 in human years… Let’s do this math:
- 260 – 25 (first two years of life) = 235
- 235 / 4 (4 years for each human year) = 58.75
- 58.75 + 2 (we accounted for the first two years in the first step) = 60.75
This means Cinnamon would have been almost 61 years old.
The oldest documented cat to ever live was Creme Puff of Austin, Texas who was 38 years and 3 days old when she died (August 3, 1967 – August 6, 2005). This translates to 168 in cat years.
Spinning in Stars Hollow
This week, I’ve added 3 songs to the season 1 Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist:
- “Ask The Angels” by The Distillers | Buy music from The Distillers
- A very true-to-original cover of a Patti Smith song from 1976.
- For fans of Rancid.
- “All of Me” by Billie Holiday | Buy music from Billie Holiday
- Another jazz standard for fans of “Cinnamon’s Song” — these kinds of songs create a thread through the entire series run of Gilmore Girls.
- “Am I Wrong” by Love Spit Love | Buy music from Love Spit Love
- If 90’s alternative is your jam, you will probably enjoy this song from a project started by former frontman of The Psychedelic Furs, Richard Butler.
- This song got significant airplay on alternative and college radio stations, much like the song “Truly, Truly” that appeared in this episode.
Please, if you like what you hear, support these artists and buy their music.
The Gilmore Girls Soundtrack theme music was provided by Scott Holmes. A big, big thanks to Scott for sharing his great talent.