This week we talk about Season 1, Episode 21 “Love and Daisies and Troubadours”
Complete show notes can be found below, like the podcast on facebook for updates or subscribe to the podcast on iTunes!
Gilmore Girls: Complete Soundtrack, including the songs from this episode:
Songs that are featured in this podcast (and are referenced in Season 1, Episode 20 of Gilmore Girls):
- Blue Man Group
- LORELAI: You are not sleeping through this.
RORY: Through what?
LORELAI: The freaking Blue Man Group is outside our house!
- Peter Frampton
- RORY: I miss the old me too.
LANE: And I’ve been feeling bad for the new Rory.
RORY: Well she’s staging a comeback.
LANE: And may it be more successful than Peter Frampton’s.
- Blur & Nico
- RORY: You swear? On the life of the lead singer of Blur?
LANE: On the soul of Nico, I swear to you that I have not seen Dean with another girl.
- “Honey Don’t Think” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- As Rory and Lane walk through the Square, we hear the troubadour playing this song.
- “Swan Lake, Ballet Suite, Op. 20: I. Scène (Lake in the Moonlight)” by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky | Purchase music from Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Miss Patty’s ballerinas dance to this song as Lorelai walks toward the diner.
- “Sadness Soot” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- This is the song the troubadour plays when he is interrupted and annoyed by another musician who is playing guitar and whistling just across the street
- “One Line” by PJ Harvey | Purchase music from PJ Harvey
- The song that immediately follows the fan-favorite line “I love you, you idiot.”
- “How to Dream” by Sam Phillips | Purchase music from Sam Phillips
- During the scene when Lorelai arrives at the inn to find 1,000 (guys, let’s clear this up right now, it was absolutely more than 1,000) yellow daisies.
- Here’s the Netflix teaser that also used this song:
- “Our Little Corner of the World” by Yo La Tengo | Purchase music from Yo La Tengo
- This is the song at the end of the episode when Rory and Lorelai meet in the middle of the street to share happy news with each other.
- We heard another cover version of this song during the closing of the pilot episode as well.
I am pictured holding my copy of Chris Staples’ Golden Age (2016, Barsuk Records).
Spinning in Stars Hollow
This week I’ve added 3 songs to the season 1 Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist. Check back next season as I build a new Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist for Season 2:
- “Crazy Rhythms” by The Feelies | Buy music from The Feelies
- For fans of Yo La Tengo
- “Only You” by Portishead | Purchase music from Portishead
- For fans of PJ Harvey
- Here’s the video directed by Chris Cunningham
- “Hepburn in the Summertime” by Chris Staples | Purchase music from Chris Staples
- For fans of the Town Troubadour, Grant-LeePhillips
Please, if you like what you hear, support these artists and buy their music.
The Gilmore Girls Soundtrack theme music was provided by Scott Holmes. A big, big thanks to Scott for sharing his great talent.
2 Comments Add yours
Congratulations on your 21st episode! What a great job you’ve done. How will people know when to tune back in? Do you know when you’ll resume the podcast? 😉
Sent from my iPad
Hey, what happened to episode 120? I must have missed that one…
Sent from my iPad