This week we talk about Season 1, Episode 21 “Love and Daisies and Troubadours”
Gilmore Girls: Complete Soundtrack, including the songs from this episode:
Songs that are featured in this podcast (and are referenced in Season 1, Episode 20 of Gilmore Girls):
- Blue Man Group
- LORELAI: You are not sleeping through this.
RORY: Through what?
LORELAI: The freaking Blue Man Group is outside our house!
- Peter Frampton
- RORY: I miss the old me too.
LANE: And I’ve been feeling bad for the new Rory.
RORY: Well she’s staging a comeback.
LANE: And may it be more successful than Peter Frampton’s.
- Blur & Nico
- RORY: You swear? On the life of the lead singer of Blur?
LANE: On the soul of Nico, I swear to you that I have not seen Dean with another girl.
- “Honey Don’t Think” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- As Rory and Lane walk through the Square, we hear the troubadour playing this song.
- “Swan Lake, Ballet Suite, Op. 20: I. Scène (Lake in the Moonlight)” by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky | Purchase music from Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
- Miss Patty’s ballerinas dance to this song as Lorelai walks toward the diner.
- “Sadness Soot” by Grant-Lee Phillips | Purchase music from Grant-Lee Phillips
- This is the song the troubadour plays when he is interrupted and annoyed by another musician who is playing guitar and whistling just across the street
- “One Line” by PJ Harvey | Purchase music from PJ Harvey
- The song that immediately follows the fan-favorite line “I love you, you idiot.”
- “How to Dream” by Sam Phillips | Purchase music from Sam Phillips
- During the scene when Lorelai arrives at the inn to find 1,000 (guys, let’s clear this up right now, it was absolutely more than 1,000) yellow daisies.
- Here’s the Netflix teaser that also used this song:
- “Our Little Corner of the World” by Yo La Tengo | Purchase music from Yo La Tengo
- This is the song at the end of the episode when Rory and Lorelai meet in the middle of the street to share happy news with each other.
- We heard another cover version of this song during the closing of the pilot episode as well.
I am pictured holding my copy of Chris Staples’ Golden Age (2016, Barsuk Records).
Spinning in Stars Hollow
This week I’ve added 3 songs to the season 1 Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist. Check back next season as I build a new Spinning In Stars Hollow playlist for Season 2:
- “Crazy Rhythms” by The Feelies | Buy music from The Feelies
- For fans of Yo La Tengo
- “Only You” by Portishead | Purchase music from Portishead
- For fans of PJ Harvey
- Here’s the video directed by Chris Cunningham
- “Hepburn in the Summertime” by Chris Staples | Purchase music from Chris Staples
- For fans of the Town Troubadour, Grant-LeePhillips
Please, if you like what you hear, support these artists and buy their music.
The Gilmore Girls Soundtrack theme music was provided by Scott Holmes. A big, big thanks to Scott for sharing his great talent.